AH and X18, X32 or similar

Hey, does anyone use their AH with the Behringer X18 or similar digital mixers? I need some feedback on how to best utilise the AH in this setup. Thanks.

Hi, I had an X18 and would say, the most flexible way would be to have a dedicated stereo send bus, which goes to the AH and than returns (in stereo) to an X18 input. This way you could decide which signal (or combination) goes to AH without recabling. The X18 is pretty flexible and has scene-memory also… (maybe you could even select different scene on mixer by sending prog change from AH to X18?)

2 Likes

Hi, I was thinking of routing via an Aux send, and then using it as an effect return or insert. But I’m concerned about latency, and unnecessary d/a/d/a conversion. So I wondered about using a sub mixer, or patchbay, to split the signals I want to process, then running them through the AH into two spare channels on my X18. Keeping that path analog. Hmmm :thinking:

I don´t think it would be worth the effort, since you convert the signal to digital in the end anyway, if you use the X18 as last in the chain. From my experience latency was not an issue. AD/DA conversion is pretty good too, as I remember… to use the mixer to the full potential, you have to fully commit and trust it, i guess :wink:

2 Likes

Ha. I like that, ‘fully commit to your mixer’. :grinning: I find he X18 quite okay, as long as you don’t push it! The thing is that an extra d/a/d conversion is not so bad with Reverb and some other effects. But ideallly, I don’t want that and any latency added to the AH’s inherent latency. But if I do choose a sub mixer, I’ve got the noise issues inherent in that too. Hmmm a nice little dilemma.

Update. A pal is sending me a patchbay and I’ll be able to duplicate my Digitone etc. outputs and have a clean feed as well as an AH feed. And a P06/Boog flying under the radar so to speak. Looking forward to it! :grinning:

As the signal path of the AH is fully analog, there is only the added latency from your X18. The AH only brings in latency when using OB.
Correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes. But I don’t want any latency issues from my X18. Ideally I might put the AH on my master bus. But I don’t like things involving too many unnecessary digital conversions. The X18 is great, and saving scenes is priceless. But I’d still rather an analog desk’s sound, if I didn’t work on several tracks at the same time. Instant recall wins! Anyhow splitting my signals will give me a latency free all analog path into my digital recorder, hopefully. :slightly_smiling_face: