Added a MNM

Hi guys,
so I just added a MNM to my setup of OCT, AR and A4 - and after hooking it up I found it somewhat cumbersome compared to the newer machines. However, I guess I just have to get into the mindset behind this machine. And on that note, I am wondering if you guys have some hot tips on readups and tutorials. (I’ve checked the ones I could find on Youtube, and I saw a tip section from Tarekith which was good)

Much love
Vegard

I have exactly the same setup.
It’s right that the MM feels a little bit dated on many aspects.
But it shines on others !

For instance :
Take a BBOX track, hit some drums, then p-lock retrig time + nb : GLITCHES !!
Ok, you can do this on OT, but it feels different here, and with both filters + amp env + delays it get sick very quickly.

I also love the SID arpeggiator.
One note, not ARP / 2 notes, crazy arps !
This trick used o a BBOX get also pretty results. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw3BmyN6wtI in general is a good idea ^^

A thing on the filter and many other parameters like AMP DIST : once you’re close to the hot spot, turn the knob very carefully, 1 graduation at a time.
It’s easy to miss the nicest spot.

Check LEM’s videos, he can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_EXP8thVLU.
Other wizards I enjoy the videos of are Veets (Catabolicdj on YT) and Radoslav Valkov.

Thanks!
Looking forward to working it into our studio, wondering if I should bring it to live gigs :slight_smile:

Nice, thanks TrabanT!

Does anyone have a video of ARP trickery? I’ve just made it arp, and not gotten very interesting with it, so some hints and tips on this would be awesome :slight_smile:

http://tarekith.com/assets/monomachine_tipsandtricks.htm

the arp is a lot more useful than i thought initially. it’s a good source of randomness and also offers a way to trig notes off the grid.

like many things on the mnm, it’s a matter of taming it, of applying parameters that will keep it from running away on you and being merely obnoxious rather than musical. that’s probably too general a thing to tell you right now, but it’s good to keep in mind, especially on an instrument as broadly configurable as the mnm.

i realize you just got your mnm, but do you have any particular goals for the arp? what would you like it to do?

the arp is a lot more useful than i thought initially. it’s a good source of randomness and also offers a way to trig notes off the grid.

like many things on the mnm, it’s a matter of taming it, of applying parameters that will keep it from running away on you and being merely obnoxious rather than musical. that’s probably too general a thing to tell you right now, but it’s good to keep in mind, especially on an instrument as broadly configurable as the mnm.

i realize you just got your mnm, but do you have any particular goals for the arp? what would you like it to do?[/quote]
Indeed, as with all the Elektron boxes, I guess. I thought it would be a bit closed to the arp designer on the A4, but I guess I am wrong :slight_smile: Is there a way to make it slide? And can you P-Lock stuff on it (like the time division etc?) For instance :slight_smile:

At the moment I am simply trying to learn as much as possible about the whole unit. I have so far at least experienced that it’s a lot more “fine tune” than the A4, the difference in parameters from one step to another seems quite huge (I guess I can increase the resolution, and of also it’s a bit difficult to compare it to an anlog unit)

I’ve also learned that a lot of goodness comes from the DIGIpro machine! :slight_smile:

I thought it would be more of a live tool, but it seems maybe more of a program tool, as of yet, since it doesn’t have any kind of scenes or macros. However, it seems, from the manual, to accept a lot of midi and sysex info, so could probably do alot with that.

Routing-wise it seems quite cool too. Wondering if I could connect the CD or EF outs to inputs to overdrive in the converters or create some feedback… Any cool routing tips are also welcome.

To be honest I don’t know what I want to do yet, I just want to learn it all :slight_smile: (I bought it simply because I needed more expences to cut my tax a little :P)

Thanks for all help and interest, you guys are awesome!

1 Like

Talking about CD/EF outputs, I plugged a Space to it because I am not too fond of MM reverb. It brings the synth to a new level !!

That’s clever. I guess you just use it as a Send/Return then?
Could maybe plug it into the A4, that has a nice verb.

It’s a very unique machine with a character all its own.
I loved the midi sequencer for sequencing “sound locks” on external gear with the program change parameter locks.

My main tip is to really explore and get to know the synthesis machines and develop a good understanding with muscle memory. Since the patches reside in kits, and there is no A4 style sound browser, you have to rely on your own skills as a synthesist.

Enjoy!

You can’t plock the arp itself, but trigless trigs affect the arp line as it runs, so you can adjust parameters with the main sequencer. So for time division you’re out of luck, but for slide, try plocking the portamento with trigless trigs on certain steps.

At the moment I am simply trying to learn as much as possible about the whole unit. I have so far at least experienced that it’s a lot more “fine tune” than the A4, the difference in parameters from one step to another seems quite huge

Good approach. And yes, small incremental changes can have huge impact on the sound, so don’t sweep-tweak or you’ll miss all the good stuff :wink:

Routing-wise it seems quite cool too

Routing is a huge topic in and of itself. It’s one of the keys to “fattening” the MnM’s sound generally and getting interesting effects. Without going into much detail, you might try downloading the soundpacks that Lem and also Cenk from Elektron uploaded a couple of years back. They both contain several good examples of using the bus system to its advantage.

Yeah, I think I will look on it more like a completly analog synth (ironic, isn’t it?) where you make the patch every time :slight_smile:

You can’t plock the arp itself, but trigless trigs affect the arp line as it runs, so you can adjust parameters with the main sequencer. So for time division you’re out of luck, but for slide, try plocking the portamento with trigless trigs on certain steps.

At the moment I am simply trying to learn as much as possible about the whole unit. I have so far at least experienced that it’s a lot more “fine tune” than the A4, the difference in parameters from one step to another seems quite huge

Good approach. And yes, small incremental changes can have huge impact on the sound, so don’t sweep-tweak or you’ll miss all the good stuff :wink:

Routing-wise it seems quite cool too

Routing is a huge topic in and of itself. It’s one of the keys to “fattening” the MnM’s sound generally and getting interesting effects. Without going into much detail, you might try downloading the soundpacks that Lem and also Cenk from Elektron uploaded a couple of years back. They both contain several good examples of using the bus system to its advantage. [/quote]
Aha, thanks for the tip on the trigging!

I will have to try and get into the routing, it seems quite straight forward though, but we shall see :slight_smile:

It would be nice if Elektron could update the OS to at least contain the hotkeys from the Analog series though… :slight_smile: