Accessing Sub-Bank Change with Digitone

So I am having a bit of an issue and can’t seem to find anything yet… The Patch and Bank change messages on the Digitone work just great with every piece of gear I have except for one little pesky dude. The Alesis Micron. It seems to require Sub-Bank instead of Bank change messages, so I can change patches as long as they are within the first 128 presets… Is there some trick to sending a Sub-Bank change message?

The Digitone suffers from the same problem as the Digitakt and Octatrack, on that Elektron has not fully implemented the MIDI Bank Select message.

To change to a patch in a different bank, the Micron needs to receive a full Bank Select + Program Change instruction. The Instruction takes the form of CC 0, then CC 32, then Program Change. Elektron implemented the CC 0 but not the CC 32.

The workaround is to set two of the assignable CC messages to be CC 0 and CC 32 and to send these just before a Program Change.

Further discussion in the context of the Digitakt and various other instruments is here:

Sorry it took so long to reply! But thank you for that tip! Was able to access all the patches on my Micron using the method you described above, that was a great help.

1 Like