Access Virus TI Snow

Also unplug USB and power cycle. It seems at least 50% of the Virus issues are USB related.

@jox - thank you so much for your suggestion, I did try with the digitone adapter and surprisingly it did play fine for a longer time than it did with the older adapter, but still it ended up crashing on a complex patch, which I guess is expected. But I do find it a bit more stable than before for sure!!! Will try more and see if this solves the issue :crossed_fingers:

@DonovanDwyer - Initially I was facing that issue on standalone also without any USB cable, but now with the adapter changed, I see it seems fine with the USB also, while using as a VST on Ableton. Will wait and see how this pans out.

Thanks again for your input guys!

1 Like

I could buy a snow and have some doubts that you may be able to clear.

When connected to a daw through usb you can send and receive midi AND edit on the TI live BUT if another hardware is connected to the snow via MIDI IN then what happens?

Does usb cease to function or do I just lose live control of the snow via ti program but can still pass data from and through the snow into DAW?

I want to use it with my cirklon and maybe map ccā€™s to a launch control XL but I still want to use ableton at the same time with themā€¦also would I lose the ability to control the knobs I assigned to control XL if the TI program ā€˜ā€˜disconnectsā€™ā€™?

1 Like

Excellent question. @cirklown

You wonā€™t loose control of either the knobs or the MIDI in data when TI is enabled, quite the opposite, the Virus will happily recieve data from the plugin, midi over USB from a DAW, midi from the 5 pin DIN and knob values simultaneously.

I currently have the TI plugin open in FL to edit patches, have a seperate MIDI port over usb for note data, make performance changes from the front panel knobs and buttons, and have 8 parameters controlled by the DT step sequencer using the 5 pin din. (Usually LFO speed and depth and envelope / FX type stuff).

If i switch off the TI, all i loose is the ability to hear the audio directly into my DAW and i have to rely on the 6.5 main outs or headphones to hear audio, and i loose the ability to edit patches using the plugin. I can still send MIDI over usb through a port in my DAW, MIDI over 5 pin din and use the front panel.

The only way you would loose control is if you assigned your controller to edit the TI plugin parameters directly in the plugin and not the MIDI cc of the Snow either by usb or 5 pin DIN. Then of course if you close the TI plugin you are changing nothing.

Also, the TI plugin will govern the patch number or multi patch number so if you want control over that you will have to send a midi cc to changeā€¦

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! I use windows so it will be easier I think.
I donā€™t have an audio interface so I was planning on rolling with the snow as the one but I dont know how it fares against a dedicated one.
my setup would be a novation launchkey-cirklon-virus-PC or similar.
Would the DAW receive all of the information even if the cirklon passes through the virus and its controlling a VST for example? sorry if it sounds convolutedā€¦

Its just that many people talk about loss of functions like analog out the virus if usb is passing audio to the pc and stuff like that and I would just like to know if this is gonna cover as a card while keeping its functions or if I will need a dedicated one if I want to have the full experience

Now that is something i have never tried. I havenā€™t used the snow as my sound card and midi interface.

Also dont forget its usb1! so 4 stereo channels of audio, 2 stereo in and then 2 back out, plus all that midi data might see the TI struggle.

Im not with my gear just now so i cant really try it. Its a great bit of kit but as your main interface for audio and midi im not sure its going to cut it over usb1ā€¦

well that may be the case but I may never exploit it as much, would like to have one to test but maybe my dream setup is possible in which I use the cirklon as a midi hub and the virus lets things pass through into the pc and keeps doing its own thing and maybe be a fx channel.

I would also like to ask you what would happen if I wanted to control parameters through a launch control XL or even the cirklon cc messages. Would I be able to map those knobs externally? from the Ti VST enviroment Iā€™m sure I could but from the hardware itself too?