A4 vs heat

as prices for the a4 v1 keep plummeting i am thinking of picking up one, always kind of missed my previous one but was on to other things. have a digitakt on order and have been interested in the analog heat but am thinking i can get the less extreme saturation i need with the analog four (using two voices as inputs) and have all the additional goodness of fx, pattern locking, etc. plus 2 more tracks of course.

anybody know if the overdrive from the a4 is one of the heat “flavors”, or which it is more similar too?

1 Like

I’m doing the same thing with my machinedrum at the moment, I’m sure the heat would be more flexible but the overdrive on the A4 sounds great to my ears. Rolls off the digital crunch quite nicely and means I can record in through overbridge too…

You only have to sacrifice one voice, each osc can be set to L/R channel respectively.

1 Like

Yeah but then you are summing the stereo to a mono track. Using 2 tracks is a pretty great thing because then you can get really cool stereo imaging. I recently got an A4 for a number of reasons but I’ve been messing with using it as a processor for my DT. Using 2 tracks as inputs (possibly with feedback) and 2 tracks as neighbor/series, + the master fx is pretty dope. Def not AH sound but something cool for sure. I wish A4 had an envelope follower. The only other thing that would make this combo perfect would be if DT could sample the A4 stereo outs. I wonder if they could add a External L & R option that would record 2 mono tracks simultaneously. The current recorder would need to be altered to accommodate more than one sample in the buffer and I don’t know if that’s possible or likely but it would be amazing.

2 Likes

Sounds good. More than likely will go the a4 route.

I have A4 and OT but I’d like more control on overdrive/distorsion so I think I’ll get an AH one day, but I’ll keep A4 for sure.

An interesting point of view :

1 Like