A way to achieve individual pattern changes for tracks?

Hello fellow musicmakers!

Yesterday I played around with a friends Circuit and it struck me how brilliant the patterns worked there. Just as in Ableton where you can switch clips on one channel, the circuit allows you to change a pattern per instrument. Naturally this works when you have single instruments with separate sequences, and its quite joyfull to mix and improvise different grooves and melodies to morph between ideas. Am I correct in assuming that the OT was not build to do this? Or did I miss something fundamental? What are you peoples ways around it?

When composing I am often copying and pasting a pattern, doing minor tweaks over and over again, which is to be honest quite a joy - but it would be interesting to treat the octa, not as one instrument, but as a few samplers and synths playing at once with their own sets of sequences that can be interchanged individually. Hopefully this vague comparison makes sense to someone.

Copy tracks ?

1 Like

Is there a way to do this without copy or switching the pattern first?

No

Actually, came to think of it now. The “transition trick” could be a way to play the audio of one track whilst copying a sequence from another before going back again. Good stuff. Any more ideas how to go towards “individual sequences” (for the lack of a better word) are greatly appreciated.

I guess another little trick would be to work with sample chains consisting of stem loops in the length of the track/pattern.

Did you try out this one? (You need to read the whole topic to get the clarification.)

Thank you @PeterHanes, that looks indeed very useful and like a good place for me to start experiment! Knew about this transition trick (seen the video before) but didn’t pay much attention since I don’t use so much stems - but ofcourse you can record it on the fly, wasn’t aware that you could exploit the part system to playback the recorders of the previous part. Very clever!

1 Like

Try this?

1 Like

Okey, that is an interesting workaround too! Thank you :slight_smile:

It can be interesting with 64 steps and x1/4 Scale too.

Is the digitakt capable to achieve individual patterns by track?

Nope. Do you have an Octatrack?
Samples tracks or midi tracks?
With DT and OT you can control audio tracks with midi tracks, so you can have 4 tracks with 2 different sequences for example.
Trig Conditions can add a lot of variations.

AFAIK OT is the best Elektron for that kind of things anyway.

Yes got an OT and use midi tracks to trigger my modular: just would love to change track pattern independently…

1 Like

Pyramid, Cirklon…