A few insights on Digitakt LFO

The manual didn’t say a lot about the practical use of LFOs so I did some research and now want to share a few of my insights on how Digitakt LFOs work.

I created a table that contains all LFO speeds and multipliers so that you can use it creatively knowing what you actually do.

The problem with Digitakt LFO is that it does not have a positive 64 value (it ends at 63). If it would go to 64, the LFO would be MUCH less confusing because at speed 64 your multiplier number would just mean the exact length of an LFO.
Negative speeds just invert the LFO phase, but the numbers from the table remain the same. And this allows us to do one trick.

Put your LFO at -64, and invert the phase by setting the SPH to 127.

Now Mult works exactly as it should! It’s value represents the actual speed relative to bpm and you don’t need to do any counting.

Mult 16 = 1/16 note
Mult 4 = 1/4 note
You get the idea.

In case you want your LFO length not be equal to any specific BPM but have some clue about it’s real length, you can basically do the same thing. Set speed to -64, SPH to 127, use Mult to set the length you want, then as a last step slightly raise the speed number to detach LFO from BPM (make it a bit faster).

I usually use 1/16 LFO’s to humanize the shakers and hihats, by slightly randomizing their volume, pitch or start position. It sounds much cleaner when you know what you’re doing, not just putting some random values on LFO page.

51 Likes

Hi do you think is the same for other Elektron boxes or MachineDrum LFOs speeds are similar. Thanks

some relation, info on s/h here too

I think they’re all documented in various places, but there’s certainly a few differences between some of the time based values (gate/delay/lfo/env) between OT and analogs, so some of the strategies need to be relearned between old/new

1 Like

Great…… really useful Thanks ^’^

2 Likes

Stick this in the unofficial digitakt manual thread / wiki. Great info thanks for sharing!

@eangman maybe adding a little paragraph in the manual that would formulate above remarks could be useful, don’t you think so?

Thanks for the info and for the thread bump, I understand much better the LFO now.

2 Likes