64 Steps Too Short?

Using the conditional trig approach, is it possible to set all steps in a pattern to the same condition all at once?

You can edit multiple trigs at once(by holding them down and adjusting the select parameter)

Or you can copy/paste the trig with the condition.

If there’s really only one page for the selected track, you can adjust the selected track to only play 16 steps while the rest of the tracks play for different speeds.

To answer your question: no but there are workarounds

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I was thinking about 4 bar patterns already done. I guess just hard slog working through all the trigs.

Different workflows hold different pros and cons. If you don’t get the adequate fulfillment of the workflow that Elektron sequencers present, perhaps you should look into the Squarp Pyramid. Definitely incredibly useful for a compositional tool- all it’s missing is Elektron’s sharp parameter control.

Good luck!

Edit: conditional trigs work on entire tracks at a time instead of per trig

I built myself a Seq V4 a couple of months back for more involved sequencing. Just enjoying the my Elektrons at the moment.

1 Like

Just used the chain method and recorded very long passages of music, thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

Yes I find it a bit frustrating. A simplistic song mode or variable track speeds would definitely help.

I do think it would be cool if there was a kind’ve, chain-lock or something, and you could have more than one of them. I don’t really need a ‘song mode’ but ‘chain-lock’ could be a nice alternative, so, moving through all banks you could have stand-alone patterns, or chains of patterns. with the right change length settings you could easily have a nice track humming along to your needs. still, I guess CHG length settings on their own do ok but yeah a few chain settings would be great

Been struggling with this for a while. What is this sorcery.

So I’m understanding this correctly, 1:2 plays it on the first run but not on the second. 2:2 plays on the second run? I didn’t know there was 2:2, must have missed it. This would save me a lot of hassle.

Did anyone try using the midi tracks to sequence audio tracks? Does that work with the midi cable trick? Cuz then you would be able to set multiple melodic sequences to the same audio track and switch between them on the fly.

Thanks for your hint. I didn’t know before that we can do live recording over chained patterns :+1:

Hopefully one day we’ll able to save chains.

Yes the DT is missing scale per track unfortunately.

Yes, thats the way it works. I once made a Video about exactly this Method. Have a look:

Keep in mind though that this technique, @Jimmo suggested, has a drawback: you cant place the Trig on the exact same position of the trig before. Thats a Microtiming-Limitation. You can only set it a tad before/after the prior Step. So you will hear a delay with Sounds that have a strong Attack. For Sounds with slower Attack though, this method works well. Cheers.

1 Like

This is a fair point, but not a significant limitation when using it for melodic sequences. In fact, I’d go as far as saying it’s not a significant limitation even when using it for drums. Microtiming gives you resolution of a 384th note, meaning if you retime a trigger all the way to the left it will be a 384th note later than a trigger placed exactly on the previous step. At 120bpm, a 384th note is 0.0052 seconds, or 5ms, which is a delay very hard to notice unless you’re really trying to notice it.

Having said this, I would totally ditch this workaround if Elektron came out with per track scaling!

1 Like

Also, two trigs can occupy the same microtiming whilst using conditional trigs, just not if they are exactly on grid. Shift the first trig forward at least one place and then the next step can be moved back to the same spot, not so useable in a busy track but in slower patterns with space that one space of revolution is quite noticable.

Time to bring up the old request for independent track multipliers on all the machines just like the Octatrack has damnit.

3 Likes

For melodic stuff I just want to live record, not program micro timing to hack in an extended melody. Saving pattern chaining would be killer, for now though I just started writing chain cheat sheets for each project.

1 Like

This is probably the main reason I haven’t been using the Elektron on-board sequencers ever-so much. Cirklon or Ableton’s sequencers, with 4x 64 steps is my usual way of working.

fine `if u could change the scale of a seperate track (now only whole pattern)

Maybe I wrote this as a draft and didn’t reply but yeah I agree, was playing with this yesterday (Ableton midi). I mean, the human brain is almost hard wired to get bored of infinitely repetitive music. Or infinite loops sans variation. And everyone always raves about how ‘powerful’ the Elektron sequencer is, and yet it can’t do something as simple as play backwards. or, why can’t the trigs be played back in a random order? even if that was a function. I know peeps have been asking for a parameter randomise for years from Elektron, but a trig randomise would be dope as well. Same trigs, just in a different spot on the grid. I often wish I could send an LFO to the sequencer itself for this purpose. The fact is - as soon as you plug in an external sequencer to an Elektron box - it truly comes alive. You can contort concatenate, expand, flip, re-order and twist modal ranges on the fly at will. It’s infinitely more expressive and expansive than conditional locks will ever be - but what conditional locks do give you is an expansive approach to the 64 step paradigm if you are only working otb. As soon as u connect anything else that’s all blown out of the water