3D Immersive Music Creation

This thread is devoted to discussion on 3D immersive music creation.

This caught my attention because of this video which is a masterclass on quadraphonic electronic music by Suzanne Ciani done with Loopop’s cooperation. The video is 40 minutes of intense investigation – and you really need to watch the whole thing.

Principle hardware involved here is the Buchla 227e, an adapted Eventide H9 with CV, and an iPad.

This seems something that really needs to grow as a method used in electronic music creation. I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas about this. Everyone is welcome, and especially if you currently make 3D immersive music.

Here’s a link to Suzanne Ciani’s Live Quadraphonic Album.

4 Likes

For quadraphonic hardware, i spotted another quadraphonic Eurorack device, somewhat similar to the Buchla 227e – the Koma Electronik Poltergeist – Quadraphonic Mixer.

There’s also something a little simpler that also looks a little less useful the Quadraphonic Spatializer from Addac Systems.

OT has 4 outs :wink:

3 Likes

Seems like Ableton Live may be a good way (for me) to get going on this.

For instance: here’s a free Max for Live quadraphonic panner.

Most venues are mono. Sophisticated tend to stereo. You’d have to play in a concert house :wink:

There’s a festival in Germany, Antaris, where they have a quadraphonic setup.
I know Eat Static played a quadrophonic set there.
I guess its selected individual outs just get quadrophonic panning applied.

1 Like

I am reading this a lot and cannot understand why anyone would do this …I mean stereo is nothing special or pricey.

I can’t watch the video now (at work), will check it out tonight, but I looked into what quadraphonic sound was & it stated that it is now called 4.0 surround sound… so would quadraphonic music be like panning, but instead of just left & right, it’s front left, front right, back left & back right (4 corners)? Each sound in it’s own space? Is this correct?

Another force that is driving quadraphonic and 3D immersive sound is the phenomenal development and investment happening for the past few years with VR and the need for better sound that will support it.

Yes right on – 4 separate speakers (with separate amps) in the four corners.

It goes back a ways. Quadraphonic tape in the 50’s and quadraphonic vinyl from the early 70’s.

3 Likes

Here’s a non-profit, Envelop based in San Francisco CA, that has a performance space with 32 speakers for a complete spherical 3D immersive audio experience. They also offer free Max 4 Live software. This software can work on systems down to 4 speakers.

1 Like

Places I’ve heard quadraphonic modular performances:

Gray Area (SF) - Don Buchla memorial festival (I believe this included Suzanne Ciani and possibly one other spatialized performance)
Lampo (Chicago) - Keith Fullerton Whitman performance
Exploratorium / Kanbar Forum (SF) - Thomas Dimuzio (spatialized performance in a 100+ speaker venue)

It’s really a treat to hear someone who knows what they’re doing envelop you in four different sounds in all four corners of the room and play with your audiospatial perception. Highly recommended if you get the chance.

Good how-to follow up from Loopop

Lots of options and thoughts here. Even a lovely example using VCV Rack!

Another option to the 3D immersive experience. The Audeze Mobius headphones.

There is also a Creators Edition of the headphone that includes the Waves B360 Ambisonics Encoder software.

Here’s the user’s guide for the Ambisonic Encoder.

1 Like

The Zoom H3-VR Virtual Reality Audio Recorder

This is great! Good on Zoom for being so progressive.

And it’s only $350.

And look at/listen to this. This is a 360 video (on youtube)-- so you can grab the screen while it’s playing and pan around and look up and down. As you move around the sound in front of you changes. The equipment for shooting this would probably cost a bit, but doing the audio for it doesn’t – at least not anymore.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s awesome! Very cool coming from Zoom.

I don’t think I have headphones that will support it and no speaker set up at all.

But if I could partake in these splendors, I’d buy this in a heartbeat.

Super cool of Zoom to make this product

Edit:

I actually heard that the kinda camera to record in 3D is not that expensive- I believe only ~200

This one’s only $99(albeit limited on the y-axis)

https://www.adorama.com/360flhdc01b.html?msclkid=ea4fbe5f66da15105392e5fdf53e6d2d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[Shopping]%20All%20Products%20[ADL]%20[PLA]&utm_term=1100502012302&utm_content=All%20Products&adlclid=ADL-4f77e44a-7e07-4765-a7a1-96bbc18cf18a

Good to know – i was looking at the picture showing the equipment used for this shoot, which i couldn’t even begin to detail, but looks to include 16 items around the outside. plus three fish-eye thingies, and then the Zoom Apollo Mission Capsule docked to its Ambisonic mic at the top. My ignorance is showing.

That camera looks pretty neat and you’re right Ryan it is under $100.

The video at this website is a lot of fun too.

https://www.360fly.com/

1 Like

It’s a legit looking setup, no doubt.

I didn’t notice that picture until after I commented. I couldn’t determine what is being used/how it’s all being used/produced. Really cool.

I wonder what software one could use to sync the video and audio…

Excellent question – don’t know. I did notice that the 360 video references a production company VR Playhouse of Los Angeles, so they’d be the ones to ask. Hey that would be a neat place to work wouldn’t it.

It might be some of their software, i see they create that too.

Here’s another video with from Zoom with detail on the H3-VR:

ADDED: Here’ s at least a little part of an answer to your question Ryan. According to the Zoom H3-VR website:

The H3-VR’s companion Zoom Ambisonics Player software takes the work out of post-production by easily converting your Ambisonics files to Stereo, Binaural, 5.1ch surround and more. Play, trim, re-orientate and export your audio files in minutes.

1 Like