2 (hopefully) quick questions

I’ve read the manual, so I think I know the answer to my first question, but when using mutes - is there anyway to mute the trigs themselves , and not the audio channel? Cutting delay and reverb tails is not super musical…

I know mutes that are programed in arranger mute trigs… is there something I’m overlooking, some sub folder that I’ve missed? Can I manually mute trigs and have my reverb and delay tails not get cut off?

Second - please help a dummy. Can someone hold my hand and walk me through the process to capture the internal audio of a whole arrangement? (I’d like to use the captured sample as a 3 min or so one shot trig.) I’m having trouble with certain consepts, like, do I need a free track to do this? If I’m using all 8 tracks, can I still record to a buffer? I see in the memory menue that I can turn off some reserve recorders and increase the reserve length dramatically (but I truly am clueless as to what that actually means)! It seems that fo4 pr maximum memory, all reserve recordings need tof be turned off, except for R1 - do I need to have track 1 free to use this? Set it to flex and assign the first recording buffer?

Quick disclosure, I tried to figure other out on my own and immediately got the message memory full, followed by all my tracks playing silent except for track 4 (?), and couldn’t get anything working, and so rebooted. And yes, I tried twice, same results. So, but obviously I’m doing something wrong, probably embarrassingly so.

Thank you in advance!

1. Mutes. Mutes are post FX. No way round that. But you can hold FUNCTION and turn AMP VOL to the left to achieve a mute result, that leaves FX tails intact. You could even set that up as a scene.
    Or you can hold the track button and press stop. This stops the sequencer lane for that track, letting your FX tails remain intact.
    Or use T8 as master with desired Reverb/delay
    Others might have more suggestions to achieve same results.

2. Octatrack is a sampler, not a recorder. So capturing a whole arrangement is going to be tough unless your arrangement is short. Cant remember off the top of my head but the recorder buffer for capturing samples is 85mb max? Others may have more knowledge on this, I generally only capture short samples.

Yeah I would use the scenes for this, just pre program the mutes. If this is a deal breaker then the DT might work for you.

I have read that you can record between 5 and 8 mins, depending on what samples you have loaded into flex machines, only the particulars are unclear to me. I’m new to sampling, and Elektron. The manual kind of breezes past the concept, but I am still not super clear on how to actually do it

1 Like

I believe you have to override the 85mb limit of the recorders. There is a setting in the system menu somewhere. Honestly though, if possible, I would record into a DAW and the bounce it over USB to the OT. Though the OT never ceases to amaze me with all it’s “extra” capabilities, it truly is about maximising creativity from limited sampling time versus recording long samples or songs. But where there is a will, there is a way…and an OT somewhere nearby :smirk:

You can override the 16s per track limit, not the 85.5MB RAM limit. (Memory config).

Without samples in the 85.5 Ram, Dynamic recording or no reserve length :
16 bits : 8m28s (508s)
24 bits : 5m39s (339s)

(You can check this available time in Memory Config, and in Recording Setup 1)

1 Like